Keeping deferred when leaving
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:02 pm
I've decided to leave my current job for a combination of personal and professional reasons. Most likely I'll be leaving the industry altogether for several years and possibly permanently.
I have spent a little under 2 years at my current employer (medium to large buyside shop) and have built up a deferred comp balance that, although tiny relative to my shop's total deferred pool, represents a significant fraction of my net worth right now. Contractually, I am not entitled to keep any of this if I resign voluntarily except under a very limited set of circumstances, none of which apply. However, my hope is that I might be treated with some leniency in this case since I wouldn't actually be leaving for a competitor.
How realistic is it that I'll be allowed to keep some or all of my deferred balance? Any pointers regarding how to have this conversation would also be greatly appreciated.
Another possibility I am thinking about is to just wait things out until I possibly get fired. My shop is not doing so well right now and my relationship with my boss has been pretty strained as of late, so I think it's entirely realistic that I'll be shown the door soon. Thoughts on this route (especially on how to potentially accelerate it while still keeping things professional and not screwing over any colleagues) would be greatly appreciated too.
I have spent a little under 2 years at my current employer (medium to large buyside shop) and have built up a deferred comp balance that, although tiny relative to my shop's total deferred pool, represents a significant fraction of my net worth right now. Contractually, I am not entitled to keep any of this if I resign voluntarily except under a very limited set of circumstances, none of which apply. However, my hope is that I might be treated with some leniency in this case since I wouldn't actually be leaving for a competitor.
How realistic is it that I'll be allowed to keep some or all of my deferred balance? Any pointers regarding how to have this conversation would also be greatly appreciated.
Another possibility I am thinking about is to just wait things out until I possibly get fired. My shop is not doing so well right now and my relationship with my boss has been pretty strained as of late, so I think it's entirely realistic that I'll be shown the door soon. Thoughts on this route (especially on how to potentially accelerate it while still keeping things professional and not screwing over any colleagues) would be greatly appreciated too.